Our recycling projects and charity shops help Oasis to provide work for 370 adults with intellectual disability and housing for 45 of them; as well as day care centres for 90 profoundly/severely intellectual disabled kids. Without your support and these projects, Oasis wouldn’t exist.
Unfortunately a very small number of people dropping off materials and goods think that we are a dump site and in order to reach them we need to hand this letter to every supporter. Please help us pass the word around. All materials dropped off are sorted and processed by a large team of workers and it is our duty to provide a safe and protected work environment for them and in particular protection of their dignity.
THE FOLLOWINGS ITEMS PUT OUR WORKERS SAFETY AND DIGNITY AT RISK
• Medication, used medical products and syringes/needles
• Abrasive/toxic substances such as pool acid and toxic cleaners
• Pesticides and poisonous substances
• Ammunition and dangerous knives
• Soiled paper tissue items such as diapers, tissues and sanitary products
• Food waste or expired non-perishable goods
• Wet and/or mouldy clothes, shoes, bed linen
• Stained mattresses, pillows and duvet inners.
• Broken, soiled and “smelly” clothes and shoes
• Broken flat glass, mirrors and drinking glasses
• Used light bulbs and batteries
• Animal waste and soiled animal linen
• Broken objects which have lost their functionality or aesthetic value due to the damage
• Alcohol, narcotics and narcotics paraphernalia, pornographic materials and adult “toys”
• Garden rubbish and floor sweepings
Unbelievably, all of this is handed in, in the belief that we are a dumping site. Dumping costs us hard earned money every month. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support and we do apologise that you have been handed a letter which in all probability is not necessary at all. Our supporters often tell us that they don’t sort their waste because the sorting creates work for our workforce. With the volumes we now process, every bit of sorting you do, though optional, is a great help.
Kind regards and thank you!
Recycling information available from Recycling Manager, Beraldine Jagers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information re donations of goods to our charity